Calling all drone enthusiasts and data scientists! Embark on an exhilarating mission to explore the depths of volcanic landscapes and uncover the secrets of these awe-inspiring natural phenomena. Join the Drone Master challenge and put your drone piloting and data analysis skills to the test as you navigate treacherous volcanic fields and collect crucial CO2 data. Participate in this extraordinary STEM project where passion meets purpose.
Volcanic Vistas In this immersive learning experience, you’ll transform into a volcanologist and utilize your drone expertise to gather valuable data from a simulated volcanic eruption. Your task is to program your drone to precisely navigate a course littered with “volcanoes” represented by paper bags. As you fly over each volcano, you’ll activate it by inflating the bag, simulating the release of CO2 gas. This STEM project aims to capture the highest CO2 data spike during its simulated eruption.
What You Will Need for this STEM Project:
- databot™ 2.0 & Vizeey™
- IOS/Android Smart Device
- Drone (Tello or larger)
- A method to top mount databot™ on the drone.
- Read the Vizeey™ Fast Start Guide and install Vizeey™
- Use Vizeey™ to scan the QR Code
- Baking Soda
- 5 Large Paper Bags – grocery type
- One gallon jar to mix your chemicals.
Through this engaging lesson, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of:
- Volcanology: Delve into the fascinating world of volcanoes, exploring their formation, behavior, and environmental impact.
- Drone Piloting: Hone your drone piloting skills as you maneuver through a challenging course requiring precision and control.
- Data Analysis: Develop your data analysis prowess by interpreting the CO2 data collected during the simulated eruption.
- Mission Preparation: Before embarking on your mission, ensure you have the following resources:
Drone Blocks or other coding environment:
This will be your tool for programming your drone’s flight path.
- Paper bags: These will represent the volcanoes you’ll encounter on your mission.
- Vinegar and baking soda: These ingredients will simulate the chemical reaction that occurs during a volcanic eruption.
- Data gathering device: This could be a smartphone, tablet, or any device capable of recording data.
Mission Execution of your STEM Project
- Set up the volcanic field: Create a staggered course of 15-20 feet, placing five numbered paper bags at intervals.
- Prepare the volcanoes: Fill four of the paper bags with a book or other weight to represent dormant volcanoes. In the fifth bag, pour a gallon of vinegar, representing the active volcano.
- Conduct trial runs: Allow students to fly their drones over the course, practicing their piloting skills and familiarizing themselves with the layout.
- Activate the volcano: Without the students’ knowledge, add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the vinegar-filled bag, simulating the onset of an eruption.
- Capture CO2 data: As each team flies their drone over the active volcano, record the CO2 data readings.
- Analyze and compare data: Once all teams have completed their runs, analyze the collected CO2 data to identify patterns and draw conclusions on the STEM project.
The demand for both drone pilots and volcanologists is on the rise, driven by the increasing use of drones in various industries and the growing recognition of the importance of volcanic hazard mitigation. Drone pilots can pursue careers in aerial photography, surveying, inspection, and research, while volcanologists can work in academia, government agencies, and private consulting firms.
databot™: The Ultimate STEM Project Education Tool available in Dubai
In the ever-evolving world of education, teachers constantly seek innovative tools to engage students and foster a deeper understanding of STEM concepts. Look no further than the databot™, a revolutionary STEM education tool that combines versatility, ease of use, and cutting-edge technology to transform science lessons into unforgettable experiences.
The Drone Master mission, “Volcanic Vistas,” provides an engaging and hands-on learning experience integrating drone piloting, data analysis, and volcanology. Through this mission, students develop their technical skills and gain a deeper appreciation for the natural world and the importance of scientific research.